|Job Type||Paid Internship|
|Salary Details||This internship is paid hourly|
|Required Experience||0 - 1 years|
The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (MMA) is offering two internship positions at its Natural Science Museum during the 2023 summer. The Natural Science Museum is divided into an Aquatics Room housing numerous freshwater and brackish water animals, a Herpetology Room housing snakes, frogs, and turtles, a Collections Room that displays various animal specimens from across Nantucket, and lastly a STEM Activity Room where guests can learn about science through hands-on activities.
This Museum internship is incredibly unique. This paid opportunity immerses interns in all facets of Natural Science Museum operations, which includes, exhibit design, animal collection, signage design, husbandry of 20+ species, educational programming, volunteer management, collections preservation, retail in the gift shop, and more!
The ideal candidates have interest in biology, ecology, and/or environmental education. Many former interns are working in the fields of outdoor education, aquarium husbandry, environmental education, veterinary medicine, K-12 science education, STEM graduate school, environmental technicians, and environmental stewards.
The interns, working as a team along with the Director of the Natural Science Museum, are responsible for virtually all facets of Natural Science Museum operations, including animal husbandry, leading tours, managing and mentoring volunteers, leading public programs and field trips, designing exhibits, and running the gift shop. Natural Science Museum interns also have the opportunity to learn the art of preserving specimens for the MMA collections and to assist with any fieldwork conducted at the MMA facility. This is a fantastic immersive experience for students interested in ecology, biology, museum science, and/or environmental education.
Nantucket Island is a resort community that swells to over 60,000 people in the summer. There are 50 miles of beaches and over half the land area is conservation land. The mission of the MMA is to inspire people experience Nantucket’s land, sea, and sky. Programs and facilities focus on environmental education, ecological research, astronomy, and historic preservation.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Daily food preparation (which can include, but is not limited to snakes, frogs, fish, turtles, and spiders).
- Daily general care to meet the requirements of our animals
- Assistance with medical and animal acclimation procedures
- Providing engaging educational experiences to visitors during Natural Science Museum tours
- Leading educational programs off and on-site several times per week
- Aquarium tank and terrarium enclosure maintenance (which can include, but is not limited to plumbing, troubleshooting and repairing filtration systems, water changes, water quality, and filter cleaning)
- Travel around the island to collect species for the museum (which can include, but is not limited to seining, hand nets, fishing, snake boards, and more)
- Manage and mentor students in both our volunteer and high school internship program
- Specimen preparation and preservation (which can include, but is not limited to jarring and round skin preparation)
- Sell MMA Memberships and merchandise in the gift shop
- Staying curious and excited about the natural world!
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- Educational background in biology, geology, environmental science, or a related field with at least two (2) years of college experience
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Must be able to pass a SMITH driving test
- Enthusiastic personality and eagerness to learn
- Excitement to teach the public about environmental science every day
- Interested and comfort in outdoor education
- Flexible attitude
- CPR and First Aid Certified
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills
The MMA will follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance and continue to require all employees to receive a primary COVID-19 vaccination series and one booster in 2023. It is highly recommended that all community members stay up-to-date with their vaccinations and receive further boosters when and if eligible.
Compensation and Duration
- This is a paid internship.
The MMA has dormitory-style housing available for interns to rent. Housing is located within walking distance to the town center and is a short bike ride to beautiful beaches, hiking trials, museums, and other great locations. If you live on campus, you will be expected to attend and participate all dorm cleaning days as part of your housing agreement. Please note that the dorm rooms are shared. Interns are not required to live in MMA provided housing, however, as Nantucket’s housing availability is notoriously limited and often expensive, we require our interns to provide proof of alternative housing before their internship begins.
This internship runs approximately from May 22, 2023 to August 19, 2023, with the possibility of extended employment through October 28.
Phone: (508) 228-9198
The Maria Mitchell Association is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Environmental Education, Outdoor Recreation, Wildlife|
|Tags||Nature Center, Herpetology|