Closing Date/Time Applications accepted until filled.
Salary $17.50 Hourly
Job Type Seasonal
Location Camp Ramah, 385 Fairview Road, Ojai, CA 93023
Division Secondary Education - Middle School
SEASONAL POSITION ONLY. MUST BE AVAILABLE FROM January 29 to March 29, 2024.
4 days a week. Applications accepted until positions are filled.
Under the direction of Outdoor School Program Coordinator and Assistant Coordinator, guide students on interpretive nature hikes and conduct hands-on activities and lessons to teach 6th grade students astronomy, botany, ecology, geology, hydrology, indigenous people traditions, and zoology in a natural area that includes chaparral and riparian woodlands.
The Conejo Valley Unified School District Outdoor School is a residential program for 6th grade students. The program is held at Camp Ramah in Ojai, CA, a 400-acre camp located a few minutes from downtown Ojai, California. The Outdoor School program runs from January 29 to March 29, 2024 which includes a paid training and preparation week and the day after program conclusion. Room and board are included for Outdoor School staff. Housing is available during each session and on weekends. Meals are available when camp is in operation.
- Under general direction, conduct an activity oriented, interdisciplinary curriculum in science and environmental field study in an outdoor setting.
- Assist with the supervision of high school student cabin counselors.
- Maintain a supportive and collaborative work environment with fellow naturalists, head cabin leaders, Camp Ramah support staff, and outdoor school coordinator.
- Conduct daytime and nighttime discovery and interpretive hikes.
- Assist with program preparation to include assisting with curriculum development materials and coordination of activities.
- Provide a positive role model for preservation of the natural environment.
- Lead or assist with evening campfire activities including, but not limited to, age appropriate sing-a-longs, storytelling and skit performances.
- Monitor student maintenance of facilities.
- Assist with the maintenance of program equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrate flexibility, self-motivation, positive high-energy and commitment.
- Required to be a Head Cabin Leader for a minimum of one (1) week during Outdoor School program.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE QUALIFICATIONS:
LICENSES, CERTIFICATION & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Education and/or training in one or more of the following fields: environmental science, biology, botany, astronomy, oceanography, hydrology, and/or outdoor recreation.
- Proof of valid driver's license
- Ability to obtain California Department of Justice fingerprint clearance.
- TB clearance.
- Current First Aid and C.P.R. certification.
- Naturalists must be available for the entire Conejo Valley USD Outdoor School Program duration, January 29 to March 29, 2024.
- Previous experience working with school aged children.
- Wilderness First Responder Certification.
- Bachelor's degree in environmental science, biology, botany, astronomy, hydrology, or outdoor recreation.
- Ability to play a musical instrument/ sing or extensive storytelling experience.
- Employees in this environment will be required to work in an outdoor school setting consisting of cabin dwellings, large activity rooms, and hilly terrain.
Please include all relevant education and/or experience within the application.
Tom Hoegeman, Coordinator, Outdoor Education
Work: (805) 497-9511 x4248
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Environmental Education, Outdoor Recreation|