San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a nonprofit international conservation leader, committed to inspiring a passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. Empowering people from around the globe to support our mission to conserve wildlife through innovation and partnerships, we support cutting-edge conservation, and bring the stories of our work back to our two world-famous front doors — the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park — giving millions of guests, in person and virtually, the opportunity to experience conservation in action. The deep and extensive knowledge gained from more than a century of experience in wildlife care, health, veterinary services, nutrition and conservation makes us invaluable in the global effort to save species. Our team members play a crucial role in driving our conservation efforts forward and bringing us closer to a world where all life thrives.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Senior Wildlife Care Specialist under minimal direction feeds and provides for the general care and welfare of assigned exhibit wildlife (mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, invertebrates or birds). This position reports to the Lead Wildlife Care Specialist.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Prepares food and water for exhibit wildlife.
- Provides exhibit security.
- Loads and unloads food from trucks.
- Feeds exhibit wildlife.
- Administers prescribed medication and keeps feeding records.
- Observes assigned wildlife.
- Reports abnormal conditions to superiors.
- Provides species-appropriate enrichment to assigned wildlife.
- Cleans exhibit areas, pools, wildlife sleeping areas and service areas.
- Cleans contiguous areas.
- Cleans and disinfects utensils, work tools and containers.
- May maintain plant life within or around exhibit areas.
- Maintains appropriate health and behavior records on assigned wildlife.
- Responds to questions from the public concerning exhibits.
- Participates in capturing, incapacitating and moving wildlife.
- Assists medical staff in treating wildlife.
- Performs minor or routine maintenance on exhibit enclosures.
- Reports maintenance needs.
- Participates in and supports wildlife training programs.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Education, training and/or experience, which would clearly demonstrate the knowledge and skills, outlined. An example of which would be three years of experience as a Wildlife Care Specialist in a comparable zoological garden.
- May also be required to meet the minimum physical and medical conditions of the commercial dive program, includes swimming.
- Current valid California Driver’s License in good standing.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Wildlife behavior.
- Wildlife biology; zoology.
- Care, feeding and handling of wildlife.
- Safety practices around wildlife.
- Techniques for restraining or capturing wildlife.
- Zoological Organization policies, procedures and regulations.
- Operate motorized equipment and vehicles.
- Communicate and work effectively with others.
- Work in a diverse team environment and motivate others.
- Multi-task and prioritize.
- Understand and follow directions effectively.
- Deal tactfully and courteously with others.
- Competently perform the representative duties outlined above.
- Perform each Essential job function at a high level.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: Escondido, CA
- Position Type: Hourly Full-Time Non-Exempt Union Position - If selected, there will be fees and dues to be paid to the union
- Hourly Rate: $27.02
Be an ally for wildlife by joining our team!
At San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, we thrive on celebrating our differences. Diversity is vital for the benefit of our team members, our guests, our community, and our wildlife.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
As a Federal Contractor, San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a drug free workplace.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.