Application deadline: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible
Location: Remote within America’s “Quail Range”
The Quail Forever Journal Editor will work closely with the Pheasants Forever Journal Editor, our graphic design team within the Marketing & Communications Department, our QF Conservation Operations Team, our Regional Representative Team, and our volunteers. The QF Journal Editor is responsible for the entire process of creating four issues of the Quail Forever Journal annually. This includes developing the annual editorial calendar, writing stories, managing freelancer and co-worker submissions, and paginating each issue. The QF Journal Editor will also assist with the Upland Bird Hunting Super Issue which is delivered to the entire PF & QF membership roster.
The Quail Forever Journal Editor also serves as a key “voice” of Quail Forever and in coordination with the organization’s Marketing and Communications Department, will create a wide array of content for online, social media, video, and audio applications.
The position requires a well-rounded candidate who can generate content specific to quail, habitat, and conservation, while also able to take direction, juggle multiple projects, successfully track details, and adhere to deadlines. The individual must have a flexible, can-do attitude and willingness to accept requests from multiple departments, staff, members, and sponsors. Communication skills and a positive attitude are very important and the individual needs to be exceptional at multi-tasking projects while meeting deadlines. This individual must possess an awareness and responsibility for working within budget requirements and time constraints on each project. This position will require overnight travel and will also be expected to participate in special events outside of typical business hours. Typically, in Autumn there is 20% travel expected for organizational events and team meetings.
We’re looking for a person who is a safe and experienced quail hunter with an unblemished hunting record and high ethical standards. A person knowledgeable about habitat, conservation, Farm Bill, quail culture across all major quail regions (Southeast, Great Plains, Texas and West), firearms, bird dogs, and wild game cooking is desired.
Reports to: Chief Marketing & Communications Officer
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, creative writing, communications, or the equivalent in work experience; this must include at least three (3) or more years of professional writing or editing experience.
- Strong willingness to learn basic photography skills is a must with videography talent considered a bonus.
- Ability to travel for extended periods of time.
- Experience managing and working with outside vendors, including seeking approvals, quotes and organizing delivery of assets for writing, photography, and printing.
- Comfortable and dynamic public speaker.
- Time management skills and a can-do attitude with the ability to prioritize in a highly dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines and proactively seek solutions to issues as they arise.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and self-motivated.
- Creates and manages the editorial calendar for four issues of the Quail Forever Journal and supports the editorial vision for the Upland Bird Hunting Super Issue with PF Editor.
- Assigns writing, photography, videography, illustrations, infographics, etc. to freelancers and QF employees.
- Constructs the pagination of each issue of the Quail Forever Journal; including editorial and advertising.
- Leads the coordination and writing of annual quail hunting and habitat forecasts.
- Responsible for writing columns and features in each issue of the Quail Forever Journal.
- Edits all elements of each issue and is the final reviewer/approver of each issue before printing. Expert in grammar and AP Style.
- Adheres to production timelines and budgets; meets all deadlines.
- Works with co-workers, chapter volunteers, and members to generate Quail Forever coverage.
- Assists at PF & QF events as necessary, including National Pheasant Fest & Quail Classic and any new events specifically geared toward the quail market.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office suite.
- Other duties may be assigned based on skills, knowledge, and proficiencies.
Full Time, 80 hours per two-week pay period
$60,000 to $65,000 (depending upon qualifications), plus benefits.
To Apply: Please include your cover letter, resume and 3 references as 1 Word document or PDF file before uploading to the “Resume” area of your application on our Recruitment website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs Position will be open until filled.
Pheasants Forever, Inc and Quail Forever is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other category that may be protected by law.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Admin & Leadership, Wildlife|