Founded in 2002, Cloudbridge Nature Reserve is a private, non-profit cloudforest reserve in the Talamanca mountains of Costa Rica. Beginning with the purchase of degraded farmland, Cloudbridge has been actively reforesting the area in order to connect the forests of Mt. Chirripó National Park with adjacent nature reserves and forested areas. Beyond reforestation work, Cloudbridge is also committed to environmental education and conducting research on the unique and diverse cloudforest ecosystem. With an abundance of wildlife and stunning natural beauty, Cloudbridge provides ideal conditions for ecological research.
Cloudbridge Nature Reserve is looking for research interns to conduct studies of the ecology, flora and fauna of the cloudforest on an ongoing basis. Multiple positions available with flexible start dates, lasting a minimum of 12 weeks. This is an unpaid internship position. Training and guidance will be provided.
Interns stay in one of our dormitories and share kitchen and living spaces with other interns and volunteers. Dorm rooms cost $18 USD/night. Food costs and cooking are the responsibility of the intern. A basic diet typically costs around $7-9 USD per day.
- Schooling in conservation biology, wildlife or related studies, or relevant work experience.
- Keen interest in the natural world.
- Must be physically fit and able to hike 5-8 hours a day, 5 days a week in steep, high-altitude terrain.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel.
- First aid training an asset.
- Good English communication skills; ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Ability to communicate in Spanish an asset.
- Must be able to commit to 12 weeks.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Able to pay for your accommodation for the duration of your stay ($18 US/night).
- Able to pay the $200 USD good faith fee upon acceptance. This fee is credited towards the last two weeks of your stay.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to develop and maintain good relationships with others in a communal living environment
- Excellent attention to detail and adherence to survey protocols
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to persevere and maintain high-quality work in difficult environmental and physically demanding conditions.
- Demonstrate good judgement and common sense in a wilderness environment
- Position is located in the montane cloudforest of the Talamanca mountains of Costa Rica, adjacent to Cerro Chirripó National Park.
- Survey trails are steep and at times difficult and narrow.
- Altitudes range between 1550 m (5085 ft) and 2200 m (7220 ft).
- Work hours typically between 7 am and 12 pm for field work, with 2-3 hours in the afternoon for identification and data entry. Some variation depending on survey route and survey type.
- Work is typically Monday-Friday, although some flexibility is possible depending on the survey schedule.
- Required to work outdoors under varying weather conditions.
To learn more about Cloudbridge, please visit our website at www.cloudbridge.org and check out the Volunteer/Research section (http://cloudbridge.org/volunteering/ ) for more detailed information on the research intern program.
To apply, please complete our application form at http://www.cloudbridge.org/volunteering/volunteer-application/. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.