|Salary Details||TOTAL COMPENSATION BIWEEKLY: $1020 (pre-tax) - see breakdown below.|
Spend a season or more working and camping outside at some of Nevada’s premier natural areas. Serve alongside AmeriCorps volunteers from across the country while making a lasting contribution to Nevada’s natural resources and heritage. Gain valuable field experience while working on habitat improvement, restoration, and recreation projects with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, the National Park Service, and many other federal and state agencies. Learn firsthand from federal employees and specialists about natural resource and conservation careers. Projects this fall will primarily focus on habitat restoration in areas such as riparian, post-wildfire, and desert tortoise habitat. Other projects may also include trail construction and maintenance and hazardous fuels reduction for wildfire mitigation.
- Building and maintaining trails, restoring and improving wildlife habitat, and reducing hazardous fuels in our forests and public lands;
- Camping up to seven nights in wilderness setting without formal restroom facilities or running water;
- Making a commitment of national service to our landscapes and communities;
- Maintaining a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service;
- Communicating effectively with crew members, crew leaders, NCC staff and agency project staff;
- Complying with both production and quality work standards established by NCC Administration, crew supervisors and project partners;
- Contributing to basic duties at the campsite including cooking, cleaning and organizing crew equipment;
- Showing respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members;
- Participating in in-field education sessions;
- Percentage of time spent on: labor– 70%, traveling– 20%, hiking– 10%;
- Lifting 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally.
Make sure to check the Nevada Conservation Corps overview page here.
Contract Timeline:*subject to change and depend on service term length desired*
Start date: May 2023 - August 2023
End date: August 2023 - November 2023
Compensation and Benefits:This is an AmeriCorps position; candidates will receive a living allowance dependent on their length of service. The living allowance is a fixed amount, not an hourly wage or a salary.
TOTAL COMPENSATION BIWEEKLY: $1020 (pre-tax) - see breakdown below.
- Living Allowance: approximately $800 every two weeks before taxes.
- Per Diem:$15/day spent in the field. This is in addition to your Living Allowance and on average is $120.00 biweekly. Crews typically combine per diem funds and shop/prepare meals as a team.
- Housing Stipend: In addition to your Living Allowance and on average is $100.00 biweekly.
Segal Education Award:
After successfully completing an AmeriCorps term of service members are eligible to receive the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. For this term of service the education award amount will vary depending on the length of service term. Education award amounts for this position range from $1,374.60 - $3,247.50. You can use the award to repay qualified student loans and to pay current educational expenses at eligible institutions of higher education and training programs.
Student Loan Forbearance:
If you are currently paying on any federal student loans you have the option to put those loans into forbearance during your time as an AmeriCorps volunteer, that will allow you to cease payments while serving.
Interest Accrual Repayment:
As AmeriCorps alum, you are eligible to have the National Service Trust pay all or a portion of the interest that accumulated on your qualified student loan(s) during your term of service. These payments are made in addition to the Education Award, and are not deducted from your Education Award balance. To be eligible to have accrued interest paid: The loan must have been placed in forbearance for the service period, and you must have successfully completed a term of service and received an Education Award.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Eligibility:
AmeriCorps Volunteers qualify for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
Limited Health, Dental and Vision Insurance will be completely paid for at no cost to you by the Great Basin Institute.
- Must maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service.
- Be able to communicate effectively with members, crew leaders, NCC staff, and project partners.
- Possess the willingness and ability to work and camp up to seven nights in a row, in a wilderness setting, in all weather conditions, without formal restroom facilities or running water.
- Be able to lift 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Be a US citizen
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED
- Must be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards).
- All position offers are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check.
Are you following Great Basin Institute on social media?
@gbinstitute @GreatBasinInstitute @GBInstutute
We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
Applications are accepted on our website!
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Forestry, Restoration, General / Stewardship|
|Tags||Conservation Corps, Trail Maintenance|