Seasonal Ecologist PGC
Western Pennsylvania Conservancy
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy has been dedicated to protecting and restoring the region’s exceptional natural places since 1932. As a member-based nonprofit organization, we work in cities and towns across Western Pennsylvania and rely on the help of thousands of members, partners and volunteers. We are making a difference in our region’s water, land and life. We do this work for the benefit of wildlife and people who call Western Pennsylvania home, and for future generations.
The Pennsylvania Natural Heritage Program at the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is seeking a fulltime seasonal position to conduct invasive species inventories on State Game Lands. The Seasonal Ecologist will be responsible for locating, identifying, and mapping invasive species on specific State Game Lands, largely within Western Pennsylvania. Although it is expected that this person will work independently, other WPC and PGC staff will often be available to advise, work with and provide resources needed to carry out the work. This person will be supervised by WPC but will need to work closely with PGC regional staff and managers to gain access, ensure that there are no special use or other conflicts, and take advantage of the knowledge and expertise of PGC staff. The majority of the work required will be field work, covering substantial distances across State Game Lands, taking coordinates, and mapping invasive species locations, and reporting that information to the iMapInvasives database as well as other PNHP related forms and databases. This position will be based in Pittsburgh but will travel to various locations as needed.
Qualifications: This position requires background in botany, conservation, ecology, or environmental sciences. Direct experience and/or education in related fields is helpful.
- The ability to identify invasive plants, unique plants, and wildlife habitat in Pennsylvania is essential.
- Familiarity with navigating using maps, compasses and GPS units is necessary.
- The candidate must have a willingness and ability to work outdoors, navigate difficult terrain, and be comfortable in remote areas of SGLs and other survey locations.
- Applicants must be prepared to spend consecutive days away from home and to work in the field under rugged conditions.
- Being detail-oriented, having good communication skills, and having the ability to work independently are a must.
- Must provide a valid driver’s license and transportation.
Position Duration: This is a 16-week, 40 hour a week position beginning in mid to late May.
Please send a letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com and list Seasonal Ecologist PGC in the subject line.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Botany, Ecology, Land Trust|