Who we are:
Vertical Oceans is a pioneering AgriTech start-up redefining the field of aquaculture by introducing an innovative urban vertical farming system tailored for sustainable seafood.
At Vertical Oceans, we firmly believe in the principles that guide us every day:
- We… Respect Humanity and Nature
- We… Use Less to Do More
- We… Improve Everything, Always
- We… Embrace Challenges
Where you come in:
As a crucial member of the Vertical Oceans team, you will be at the forefront of developing and executing an intensive scientific research program focused on macro-algae cultivation, shrimp welfare, and the ecology of marine ecosystems. Your innovation and commitment to testing new methods will consistently push the performance edge across our system, driving continuous improvement.
Your dedication to the principles of scientific methodology, along with a steadfast belief in efficiency and sustainability, sets the stage for our mission. Strong interpersonal skills are essential, enabling you to collaborate productively with colleagues and various stakeholders in our team. Your role will require excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, translating complex scientific insights into clear, actionable strategies.
Who You Are:
This position requires a strong scientific marine background and field, industrial or high-scale experience. You bring a rich background with 5-10 years of hands-on experience in conducting applied research, spanning marine biology, oceanography, marine microbiology, aquaculture, or related fields. Your industry experience, particularly within the AgriFood sector, would lend a valuable perspective to our mission.
Your commitment goes deeper than your professional achievements. You harbor a genuine care for the Ocean and our planet’s well-being. You recognize the environmental impact of traditional shrimp farming and wild-caught fishing and understand how science and technology can transform these practices. We want you to know that your desire to use your expertise to create a sustainable solution resonates with us.
At Vertical Oceans, we’re looking for individuals like you who are passionate about innovation, motivated to push scientific boundaries, and driven to make a meaningful difference. We invite you to join our team if this speaks to your aspirations and convictions.
- Work closely with the CSO to lead the development of Vertical Ocean’s core science across multiple domains.
- Develop and execute a rigorous scientific research program to evaluate and innovate Vertical Ocean technology suite components in laboratory and production environments.
- Innovate and test new methods, technologies, devices, and processes that push the performance edge across the system and sustain our continuous improvement.
- Work with outside academic partners and other collaborators to accelerate our R&D.
- Guide the biological commissioning of new facilities.
- Manage research financial and other resources efficiently and in line with the means of a start-up company. Utilize cost efficiencies wherever possible to stretch funds.
- Create a high-performance company culture to push to the edge of performance with a supportive, team-based approach; recruit and motivate junior high-value-creating team members to fill capabilities gaps.
General Guidance for Key Knowledge/Skills/ Experience
- MSc in relevant fields of science: marine biology, oceanography, aquaculture, microbial ecology, or related.
- Minimum three years of applied research experience and aquaculture settings.
- Experience in scaling up biological operations or biological systems is highly valued.
- Hands-on experience and willingness to roll up your sleeves and get involved are essential.
- Familiarity with next-generation sequencing technologies (e.g., metagenomics) is preferred.
- Well-versed in data analysis and experimental design.
- Data-driven and naturally prone to document your activities/results.
- Strong leadership and project management skills and building your team.
- Experience in food production, safety, and handling, specifically short shelf-life and fresh products, is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work productively with colleagues and other stakeholders, communicate effectively, and achieve desired results in a close team environment.
Other Essential Requirements
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- The position will require flexibility around work hours. Our facilities operate 365 days a year. The senior marine biologist is a crucial reference figure who guides maintaining a healthy and balanced system under all scenarios.
- This position is based in San Pedro, Los Angeles, but will initially require extended travel to our Research and Technology Development site in Singapore.
- International and domestic travel may be required from time to time.
Vertical Oceans provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Eligible candidates must be authorized to work in the United States as a precondition of employment.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Thank you for your interest in joining us, and we look forward to receiving your CVs. Regrettably, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Please email your latest CV with notice period and expected compensation to firstname.lastname@example.org
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Ecology, Marine Biology|