GrowNYC is a 53-year-old environmental nonprofit organization helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life. GrowNYC Programs include:
- Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, and the work of GrowNYC Wholesale ensure that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- We blanket the five boroughs with resources like food scrap and clothing collections to make waste reduction, recycling, and composting easy for all.
- We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires are encouraged to take the COVID vaccine (as defined by the CDC) and we ask to submit proof to our HR department within 30 days of hire. Employees may be required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily health screenings, mask wearing, and other mitigation measures as deemed necessary by local conditions, mandates, and applicable guidelines.
Union Square Greenmarket General Manager (Full-time)
GrowNYC is seeking an energetic, assertive, and detail-oriented leader to serve in the role of Union Square Greenmarket General Manager position at our flagship Greenmarket farmers market. The world-famous Union Square Greenmarket began with just a few farmers in 1976 and has grown exponentially. During its peak season, the market hosts over 150 Producers weekly and is frequented by hundreds of thousands of loyal market shoppers. It is open year-round every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.
The Union Square Greenmarket General Manager will be responsible for the operation, planning, and promotion of this vital and vibrant market. The ideal candidate will have strong management and operations skills and an unsurpassed work ethic and thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. Reporting to the Director of Food Access & Agriculture (FAA), this position requires a proven team leader who can work collaboratively with fellow staff to execute all aspects of the Greenmarket mission and strive to continuously implement market improvements to ensure a successful marketplace.
Union Square Greenmarket General Manager Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
Operations and Administration
- Oversee and manage all aspects of day-to-day market operations, including but not limited to market staffing, producer reservations, market security, and on-site special events.
- Manage Union Square Greenmarket Producer relations, including developing and maintaining relationships with Producers, serving as the main market point person, and sending out operations-related communications.
- Work with the FAA Director, Greenmarket Operations Manager, and Senior Staff to manage and administer market reservations for Producers in the Greenmarket Program.
- Plan and execute daily market layouts and work closely with Producers to support their continued success in the market.
- Enforce Greenmarket rules and work closely with the Greenmarket Inspections & Compliance team, Greenmarket Operations Manager, and Senior Staff to ensure that the Union Square Greenmarket is in compliance with federal, state, and city health and food safety regulations.
- Provide oversight and work collaboratively with the Union Square Greenmarket Publicity Manager, Assistant FAA Director, and the Union Square Operations Manager to plan and execute on-site special events.
- Ensure all operational equipment, including tents and appliances, are in good working order and provide recommendations for repairs, upgrades, or replacement of market equipment.
- Manage the Union Square vehicle(s) with assistance from the GrowNYC Fleet Administrator.
- Provide market tours for potential funders, administrative staff, board members, and other stakeholders.
- Perform administrative duties and attend staff meetings in the office and virtually.
Staff Management and Supervision
- Oversee staff management, including hiring, training, workflow, individual work plans, annual performance appraisals, professional development, conducting individual and team staff meetings, and reviewing staff time sheets as needed to ensure efficient time management.
- Supervise and train on-site contractual market security guards and manage the relationship with our security company.
- Conduct weekly one-on-one meetings with direct reports and lead Union Square team meetings.
- Work with the Union Square Operations Manager, Greenmarket Operations Manager, and Greenmarket Administrative Manager to develop and execute the Union Square Greenmarket staffing and scheduling plan.
Stakeholder and Community Engagement
- Maintain relationships and communicate regularly with city agencies, partner organizations, and local stakeholders.
- Represent the Union Square Greenmarket to various organizations, community partners, and the media as needed.
- Attend community and partner meetings as needed.
- Minimum of five (5) years of work experience in operations and/or program management, preferably in a public facing setting, eg retail, agricultural, restaurant, or culinary.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing staff (preferably supervisory experience similar in scope to current Greenmarket field-based staffing) with a people-centered and inclusive leadership style.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a high level of emotional intelligence, and experience working with people from diverse backgrounds in terms of race, ethnicity, gender, including transgender and nonbinary, sexual orientation, class, and religion.
- Strong written and public speaking communication skills, with a desire and proven ability to communicate with people from diverse backgrounds and knowledge levels.
- Highly organized with exceptional time management skills and a proactive, results-driven orientation.
- Creative problem-solving skills with the ability to troubleshoot and use good judgment to make on-the-spot decisions.
- Agile, with the ability to focus on meeting emergent needs, and adaptable to continuous change.
- Dispute mediation, conflict management, and de-escalation skills.
- Willingness to compassionately and firmly manage the complex dynamics of operating an outdoor public space in New York City.
- Strong commitment to a racially and socially just food system.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
- A valid New York State driver's license, with a satisfactory driving record and a willingness to operate a box truck.
- Spanish proficiency (preferred but not required).
- Knowledge of sustainable local agriculture/farming, food systems, food access, and/or food justice.
This position requires the ability to stand for up to 12 hours outdoors in all types of weather conditions (sometimes extreme) and lift heavy/bulky equipment and supplies, up to 50 lbs.
Workdays are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, including early mornings and holidays. Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday require at-market attendance.
This full-time, non-union-eligible/management position and exempt position pays $80,000 - $85,000 annually, and includes benefits (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long-term disability, incentive savings plan, paid time off, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, and potential for parental leave for full-time regular employees who have been employed with GrowNYC for 175 days and FSA programs).
This position involves a combination of field work at the Union Square Greenmarket and office/work from home. Field work is required.
Qualified candidates for the Union Square Greenmarket General Manager position should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis starting on December 4. The application deadline is Friday, December 8, 2023. Due to the volume of employment applications received, GrowNYC is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate. No phone calls or recruiters, please. Apply here: Job Application for USQ Greenmarket General Manager
P.O. Box 2327 New York, NY
For additional information, please see our website: grownyc.org
For field staff positions, GrowNYC will relay important information to you on an ongoing basis. You will need to access certain platforms (apps) to communicate with your team. We require a phone/smartphone that has access to the internet/email and call/text at the time of hire.
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Admin & Leadership, Sustainability|
|Tags||Outreach, Sustainable Agriculture|