Water Resources Engineer / Environmental Designer
Wildlands Engineering is seeking an individual with a passion for environmental restoration to join our growing company in Asheville, NC or Knoxville, TN. Positions may be filled in one or both offices – please specify preferred location within your cover letter. The advertised position is a full-time, in office position but other arrangements may be considered. Projects may include stream and wetland restoration; watershed and water quality improvements; dam removal and aquatic organism passage; hydrologic and hydraulic modeling; flood resiliency planning and design; and watershed planning and retrofit stormwater best management practices (BMPs). This position may require occasional overnight travel and frequent outdoor field work.
Wildlands Engineering, Inc. was founded in 2007 and focuses on stream and wetland restoration, watershed planning and assessment, aquatic organism passage, dam removal, and water quality management. Wildlands Engineering is the leading mitigation provider in North Carolina and is one of the most prolific ecosystem restoration firms in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic. With offices in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee, Wildlands Engineering provides water resources engineering, ecosystem restoration, mitigation banking, and consulting services to an array of clients, including local and state government and conservation organizations. Our dedicated, motivated, and highly trained team has experience in all aspects water resource planning, design and implementation. Wildlands has its own construction company and offers the opportunity for engineering and construction staff to coordinate on complex and meaningful projects. Wildlands Engineering is committed to a watershed and ecosystem approach to ecological restoration and water quality management, and we provide exceptional services to our clients in an ethical, innovative, and time-sensitive manner. Wildlands Engineering is a family-oriented employee-owned firm with a dynamic culture defined by innovation and entrepreneurism.
Wildlands Engineering realizes the importance of a comprehensive benefits program to our employees and their families. As part of Wildlands Engineering’s total compensation package, we offer employer-subsidized medical, dental and vision insurance and employer-sponsored short-term disability, long-term disability, and life insurance. Employees receive paid vacation time, paid sick time, paid holidays, paid family leave, and seven annual floating holidays employees may use at their discretion. Wildlands Engineering matches up to 5% of employee contributions to the employer-provided retirement savings 401(k) plan or Roth 401(k) plan. As well, all employees are eligible for our profit-sharing plan.
• Coordinate with project managers and multi-disciplinary team members to design, permit and oversee implementation of ecosystem restoration and water resource engineering projects.
• Assist with field geomorphic surveys, sediment sampling, and site evaluation.
• Prepare technical reports and exhibits to support planning and design phases of projects.
• Complete hydrologic and hydraulic calculations using spreadsheet tools and modeling programs such as HEC-RAS, PC-SWMM. Expertise in two-dimensional modeling and with FEMA no-rise, CLOMR, and LOMR requirements is desirable.
• Develop design data based on reference reach evaluation, hydraulic modeling data, site constraints and opportunities analysis, and sediment transport methods. Complete sediment studies and transport evaluations.
• Complete linear design for streams using alignments, profiles, and typical sections. Use design to prepare grading and surface modeling in AutoCAD Civil 3D using corridor modeling, and other manual and automated surface modeling grading techniques.
• Assist with permitting, bidding, construction, and as-built phases of projects.
• Work independently and on teams to complete project tasks in a timely manner with a high standard of quality.
• A four-year degree or post-graduate degree in biological systems, civil, agricultural, ecological, or environmental engineering, or related technical or fluvial geomorphology, geology or similar natural resources field with design experience. All candidates should have a minimum of 3-20+ years of relevant professional experience.
• Licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) or Engineering Intern (EI) or the ability to obtain NC/TN licensure by reciprocity is preferred.
• Experience with design of ecosystem restoration projects, stormwater, dam removal, or similar projects.
• Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D – competency with alignments, profiles, corridors, and surface modeling is preferred.
• Experience with the preparation of construction documents including construction plans, erosion control, bid estimates, technical specifications, and technical reporting.
• Proficiency using Microsoft Office including Excel.
• Hydraulic, hydrologic, and/or watershed modeling experience. Understanding of FEMA permitting requirements and modeling methods.
• A general understanding of ecological processes relevant to riparian and wetland restoration in the southeastern US.
• Must have valid driver’s license.
• Part of the job requirements and the physical demands are performed in outdoor weather conditions with frequent exposure to wet/humid conditions and extreme heat or cold. Other adverse factors may include exposure to ticks and poison ivy. Lifting supplies or equipment up to 50 lb.
PLEASE SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
Email (preferred method): firstname.lastname@example.org; subject line: Water Resources Engineer/Designer (include desired location as “AVL”, “KNOX”, or “AVL/KNOX” if applying for either office)
Mailing Address: 1430 S. Mint Street, Suite 104, Charlotte, NC 28203
The cover letter should identify your previous work experience, why you are interested in this position, your approximate available start date, and any other information that you feel is important. Please be prepared to provide contact information for two references, if requested. If you are ready to advance your career with a distinguished, employee-owned company, the time is now.
Wildlands Engineering will not pay a fee to a recruiter or agency, nor will Wildlands Engineering consider resumes and applications submitted by a recruiter or agency, that does not have a signed agreement with Wildlands Engineering.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as received until positions are filled.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Tags||Environmental Consulting, Wetland|