Do you want to work in a purposeful work environment that is focused on innovation while providing safe, clean drinking water and being good stewards to the environment?
Spartanburg Water has an opening for a Watershed Management Specialist. The successful candidate for this postion will under general supervision, perform work activities related to permitting (except boats), buffer management, watershed outreach and related programs. Performs other related duties to include preparing related correspondence, maintaining data/data bases, analyzing trends in compliance, preparing information for classification, permitting and enforcement activities, participates in outreach programs as directed. This position will report to the Water Resources Manager.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBIITIES
- Ensures the protection of water quality of the system by administering the Buffer Management Plan and educating the public. Conducts all aspects of the land permitting programs (LAP, dock, shoreline stabilization, vegetation, etc.) Monitors/inspects the buffer and other sites to ensure compliance with the BMP, Policies and Procedures, regulations of SWS, local, State, and Federal laws as appropriate. Inspects activities within the buffer and on the reservoirs for adequacy, operation and compliance with applicable permits and regulations.
- Investigates complaints from industrial users, other customers, and the public.
- Operates the PIMS system for issuing permits and helps maintain accurate and complete records.
- Collects various operational, process, discharge, and environmental information for use in classification, permitting, and enforcement actions.
- Provides technical support to operations and maintenance groups in solving problems at SWS treatment facilities and wastewater collection systems.
- Participates in inspection of buffer lands and associated corrective actions.
- Reviews compliance and self-monitoring data for industrial users to determine compliance with permits and applicable Federal, State, and SWS Rules and Regulations to include the BMP.
- Prepares Letters of Violation, Administrative Orders, and other enforcement related correspondence, as directed by the Watershed Management Coordinator.
- Reviews engineering reports, plans, specifications, planting plans, etc., for potential new and existing customers applying for permits and/or existing customers requesting approval to alter permits.
- Receives, reviews, prepares, and processes various forms and documents as directed by the Watershed Management Coordinator or Water Resources Manager.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals to include senior management, department managers, supervisors, federal regulators, state regulators, state SWS engineer, SWS legal counsel, vendors, consultants, contractors, etc.
- Operates a variety of machinery and related equipment to include a computer, samplers, oxygen meter, spectrophotometer, boats, GPS equipment, camera, turbidimeter, etc.
- Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Requires a bachelors degree in Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science, Engineering or an equivalent scientific area with a minimum of one year experience dealing with a Watershed Management program; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
***To apply, please visit our website www.spartanburgwater.org. Hover over "About Spartanburg Water" and choose "Careers."