Over the past 50 years, The International Crane Foundation (ICF) has grown from the dream of two college students to a world-renowned conservation effort to save the world’s cranes and the flyways and habitats they frequent. The successful candidate will be a conservation minded individual who will bring their outreach experience to the world of Cranes. If you are not currently a crane enthusiast, do not worry, you will become one fast in our mission-based organization.
What is it like to work at ICF? Prepare to be surrounded by people who are passionate for our mission, dedicated to the organization and engaged with their fellow staff and associates. Our campus is located on 200+ acres of rolling prairies with trails. ICF operates a zoo that features all 15 of the world’s cranes. The wage range is $15.50 to $16.50, plus a nice benefit package. This position is a remote position to be located in South Louisiana (Lafayette or Lake Charles preferred)
The Whooping Crane Outreach Program Assistant supports the mission of the International Crane Foundation by supporting initiatives necessary to preserve and grow Whooping Crane populations in the Gulf Coast region. The Assistant will work with the Outreach Coordinator – Louisiana, Outreach Biologist in Texas, and various individuals and groups to develop awareness and caring for Whooping Cranes and develop their commitment to safeguard Whooping Cranes in Louisiana and Texas. The incumbent will assist the Outreach Coordinator in maintaining partnerships with hunters, landowners, conservation partners and other citizens in monitoring and keeping “watch” over the Whooping Cranes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist ICF staff with outreach efforts to raise awareness about Whooping Cranes in Louisiana and Texas. This includes but is not limited to building and maintaining partnerships with local organizations, organizing and attending awareness events, developing and distributing marketing materials, and representing ICF in-person and in local media channels.
- Educate and inspire people of all ages and walks of life by providing Whooping Crane education and outreach programs in Louisiana and Texas, including virtual and in-person visits to K-12 classrooms, libraries, civic organizations, hunting groups, gun clubs, birding groups, and other organizations. This work will be done independently, with weekly check-ins from a supervisor.
- Assist with recruitment, training and coordinating volunteers to help ICF at outreach events.
- Conduct office administrative duties including but not limited to submitting reimbursement reports, coordinating office maintenance and ordering supplies, sorting mail, office phone messages and e-mails, and clean up the office space as needed, and coordinate travel and meeting arrangements for staff.
- Excellent oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate conservation messages to a wide range of audiences, from individuals to lecture halls, in person and via remote platforms.
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills, ensuring cooperative work with staff across ICF departments, making valuable contributions to shared projects and assisting with outputs of others.
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to effectively proofread and edit reports and correspondence in a clear, concise, logical, and effective manner while utilizing proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent and competing priorities in the workplace, using appropriate manual and electronic resources to ensure timely completion. Carefully monitors the details and quality of work assigned, ensuring accuracy and effectiveness of large and small projects and products.
- Associate degree (Bachelor’s preferred) in a biological or environmental science field, or commensurate experience in wildlife conservation, or environmental education.
- Proficiency with basic Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and PowerPoint
- Valid state driver’s license and acceptable driving record, and access to a vehicle for travel (your work travel will be reimbursed).
- Ability to work independently and from home on project planning and coordinating with partners.
- Ability to travel up to 35% of the time, including travel throughout Louisiana and east Texas, with occasional travel to ICF’s office in Rockport, Texas. Some weekends and evenings will be required.
- Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for others; inspire trust; and work with integrity.
- A strong interest/background in the fields of interpretation, education, or conservation biology.
- Experience working with volunteers to achieve desired results, delegating work, training and encouraging skill development.
- Proficiency with public speaking skills and the ability to teach diverse audiences in a non-formal setting.
Physical Abilities and Work Environment:
The physical abilities and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to operate computer and phones.
- Ability to communicate with fellow staff, partners, and the general public. Communication will include both one-to-one communication, small, and large group communication.
- Must be able to remain in stationary position for 5-7 hours a day.
- Ability to attend and operate a booth at events.
- Occasionally required to lift and move items up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally work outdoors in various weather conditions.
- Ability to work from home when not attending events or traveling.
“ICF is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. We hire great people regardless of background.”
ICF is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply send resume and cover letter to ICFjobs@savingcranes.org Please put “Louisiana” in the subject line.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Admin & Leadership, Environmental Education, Wildlife|