|Salary Details||$17.25 Hourly|
|Deadline||Dec 22, 2023|
|Required Experience||0 - 1 years|
Great Basin Institute, in cooperation with the US Forest Service Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest Ruby Mountains, Jarbidge, Mountain City, and Santa Rosa Ranger Districts, is recruiting four Winter Recreation Technicians to enhance winter OHV recreational opportunities and the safety of winter OHV enthusiasts. The technicians will conduct snowmobile patrols in specific winter recreation areas throughout the identified ranger districts, including Lamoille Canyon, Secret Pass, Harrison Pass, Success Summit, USFS lands surrounding Cave Lake State Park, Hinkey Summit, and Granite Peak. The day-to-day activities will include backcountry snowmobile patrol, avalanche safety education & response, wilderness boundary signing, and maintenance of existing facilities including grooming trails, clearing snow from parking areas, and cleaning restroom facilities. In addition, the teams will capture geospatial information for each winter recreation area required to publish maps and collaborate with the Nevada Mapping Collaborative to publish winter recreation maps.
Thirteen (13) week position, Early January - Early April. Full time, 40 hours per week.
The position is dependent on having adequate snow levels for public winter recreation activities. GBI and USFS staff anticipate the position will start January 8, 2024 and conclude April 5, 2024.
Rate of Pay: $17.25 hourly
US Forest Service housing available at no cost to employee for duration of project term.
Medical, dental, and vision benefits paid 100% by Great Basin Institute and available first of the month following the first day of employment.
US Forest Service snowmobile operation training and certification provided.
Essential Job Functions may include the following or other duties as assigned:
- Bachelor’s degree in recreation/wilderness management, natural resources, or equivalent coursework and field experience preferred;
- Experience with the proper and safe use of snowmobiles and trailers preferred;
- Experience following established implementation procedures and protocols for field projects;
- Knowledge of and experience in best practices for maintaining field safety in remote settings;
- Ability to safely work in harsh and rapidly changing environments and traverse uneven, steep terrain;
- Ability to use hand-held GPS Units;
- Strong communication skills, oral and written, with an ability to communicate effectively with agency staff, field and office colleagues, and the general public;
- Possess self-starting motivation, detail orientation, strong organizational skills, and abilities to effectively work independently and as a team member;
- Possess a clean, valid, state-issued driver’s license, and an ability to safely operate 4WD vehicle on unimproved roads
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, stand, walk, bend, and have specific vision abilities to include close and distance vision, and ability to adjust focus working with computer business equipment and other job/industry specific equipment. Ability to perform heavy physical labor. Must be able to lift up to 80 pounds on occasion and up to 50 to 75 pounds for field-related work. The noise level in the work environment is usually mid-level.
The overall nature of the position is active in nature, requiring frequent physical effort and exertion. There is frequent exposure to environmental conditions such as heat, cold, and temperature changes while in the field.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Disclaimer: Although the Company has attempted to accurately and thoroughly describe this position, the Company reserves the right to change the same, including to change, add to or subtract from the duties outlined, within the sole discretion of the Company, at any time, with or without advance notice.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||General / Stewardship, Outdoor Recreation|