Essential Job Function:
The employee in this position will provide leadership and support for 3-4 crews of approximately 10-12 youth (Ages11-18) for crews operating on a 24/7 model and day crews.
Tentative season timleine: April 8th, 2023 - October 11th, 2024
The position can be broken down into four main segments:
pre-season, crew leader training, the field season, and Yampa Valley Science School.
- Pre-season work will include training on field coordinator-specific duties, preparation of all gear and field resources, and assisting with the set-up and implementation of crew leader training. This is typically during the month of April.
- The crew leader training segment entails providing leadership and skills training to crew leaders. We mentor our leaders on various hard and soft skills, and outline our expectations for the field season. The crew leader training period will closely mimic many aspects of the field season. Field coordinators should expect full participation during this time (May).
- The main responsibilities of the field season is crew support. Field Coordinators will be expected to participate in all aspects of the program when visiting a crew including overnight camping, nightly education facilitation, and project site objectives (June-August)
- The last segment of the Field Coordinator position is the YVSS camp coordinator role. This involves preparation for training, training leaders on curriculum and camp protocol, and helping with camp operations (end of August through September).
Once the field season starts, field coordinators generally split time 20/80 between the office and the field. Workload changes greatly throughout the season and hours may vary dramatically depending on the needs of the crews and their locations. Schedules are flexible and require adaptability alongside self-motivation and the ability to work independently.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with pre-season training for Crew Leaders and Assistant Leaders.
- Assist with pre-season set up, inventory, packing and coordination of gear.
- Assist with leading Crew Member orientation.
- Schedule and conduct pre-project site visits with project partners. Write project specs for your crews and deliver them in a timely manner.
- Act as the RMYC duty officer, per schedule (emergency phone system contact).
- Input crew project accomplishments into administrative systems.
- Submit weekly digital finance reports
- Manage/post weekly blog/photos for your crew on the website.
- Directly supervise crews in the field.
- Model appropriate judgment and leadership skills for leaders, assistant leaders, and crew members
- Remain in the field for a significant amount of time providing constant logistical support for crews.
- Serve as Crew Leader (with a crew 24/7) as needed.
- Conduct regular meetings with Crew Leaders (and other corps members as necessary).
- Collect end ensure accuracy of paperwork from crews to be turned into RMYC Admin Staff.
- Distribute tools, crew gear, and paperwork to crews as needed .
- Report regularly to the RMYC Admin staff.
- Support the physical and emotional well being of all corps members.
- Maintain schedule of crew visits and provide crew member transportation between crew visits as needed
- Perform duties expected of any corps member including trail work, meal preparation, cleanup/setup, and other day-to-day duties while with a crew.
- Plan and coordinate approval of crew recreational activities and travel.
- Facilitate additional training/instruction for crews in the field pertinent to project tasks when there is minimal project partner supervision.
- Uphold and enforce RMYC policies and regulations.
- Wilderness First Responder and Adult CPR certification current through the dates of employment
- Proficiency in low impact camping techniques
- Familiarity with the corps model and conservation skills
- Experience with Project Management and logistics;
- Strong background in trail construction/maintenance techniques;
- Experience leading trainings, maintaining positive work and crew culture;
- Leadership experience with youth ages 11-18
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently, self-motivated and confident
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate written and orally
- Appropriate risk management skills
- Clean driving record (Motor Vehicle Report will be required)
- Pre-service background screening required including FBI background check
- Must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Must be at least 21 years old (RMYC driving insurance policy)
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|General / Stewardship, Outdoor Recreation, Admin & Leadership
|Conservation Corps, Trail Maintenance