Wildlife Biologist

Department of the Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service Willows, California
Job Type Paid permanent


This position is part of the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge Complex. As a Wildlife Biologist you will be responsible for planning, developing, coordinating and implementing biological programs or a major segment of biological programs at the Sacramento NWRC. You will provide biological advice and guidance to management in the development of management plans and coordinates activities with involved agencies, researchers, and other stakeholders.


As a Wildlife Biologist, you will perform the following duties:

  • Design, analyze, plan, manage and implement biological programs involving natural resources.
  • Use qualitative and quantitative methods to analyze findings, to include biological data in geographic information systems (GIS)
  • Prepare scientifically defensible reports and articles for publication in peer-reviewed scientific literature and for presentation at professional meetings.
  • Develop biological study proposals, survey designs, and scopes-of-work and conducts complex biological field investigations involving wildlife species and habitats, including population and harvest surveys, biological sampling, population health studies, animal collecting, food habit studies, population modeling, and other wildlife monitoring activities.
  • Prepare issue papers, briefing documents, reports, and portions of management plans, and provides verbal briefings to senior-level management and others regarding issues that could affect the ecological integrity of resources within Service jurisdiction.

Only experience and education obtained by 07/19/2018 will be considered.

This Position Has A Positive Education Requirement. You must meet A or B below to qualify for the position.

A. Bachelor's Degree with a major in a biological science that includes the following course work: 1) at least 9 semester hours in such wildlife subjects as mammalogy, ornithology, animal ecology, wildlife management, or research courses in the field of wildlife biology; AND 2) at least 12 semester hours in zoology in such subjects as general zoology, invertebrate zoology, vertebrate zoology, comparative anatomy, physiology, genetics, ecology, cellular biology, parasitology, entomology, or research courses in such subjects; AND 3) at least 9 semester hours in botany or the related plant sciences.
B. Combination of education and experience that is equivalent to a major in a biological science. This combination includes 1) at least 9 semester hours in wildlife subjects as described in "A" above; AND 2) 12 semester hours in zoology subjects as described in "A" above; AND 3) 9 semester hours in botany as described in "A" above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.

You may qualify at the GS-11 level, if you fulfill one of the following qualification requirements:

In addition to meeting the basic education requirement, I have one year of full-time specialized experience comparable to at least the GS-9 level in Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as 1) professional biologist work preparing wildlife/habitat management plans for refuges/public lands; 2) proposing, planning and conducting field investigations that address wildlife management decisions; 3) writing objective technical/analytical reports which include recommendations for action.OR
A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree; or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a degree in wildlife biology or a directly related field. ; OR
A combination of education and experience as listed above. I do not fully meet either A or B above, however, I have an equivalent combination of appropriate work experience (as in A above) and graduate education (as in B above) that, when computed as a percentage of their respective requirements, equal 100 percent when combined. (Only graduate education beyond the second year is creditable to meet this standard.)
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.

The Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA),P.L. 114-47, allows certain individuals who currently or formerly were under time-limited competitive appointments at certain land management agencies to compete under merit promotion procedures:

Current appointees:

Note: You must submit ALL SF-50s and performance information for each period of temporary/term employment that qualifies for LMWFA.
·Must have been hired under competitive examining procedures to a time limited appointment with a land management agency.
·Must have served under 1 or more time limited appointments by a land management agency for a period totaling more than 24 months without a break in service of 2 or more years; AND
·Must have performed at an acceptable level.
Former appointees:
·Must have been hired under competitive examining procedures to a time limited appointment with a land management agency,
·Must have served under 1 or more time limited appointments by a land management agency for a period totaling more than 24 months without a break in service of 2 or more years;
·Must apply for position within 2 years after separation,
·Must have been separated for reasons other than misconduct or performance; AND
·Must have performed at an acceptable level

Public Land Corps (PLC) Hiring Authority:

Note: You must provide a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Compliance Hiring Based for Public Land Corps Service.

(1) In order to be eligible for PLC non-competitive status, a former member of the PLC must provide documentation, as part of their application, verifying their eligibility and meet the following criteria:
(a) Served as a qualified youth on an appropriate conservation project completing a minimum of 640 hours of satisfactory service that included at least 120 hours through the PLC;
(b) Applied to a vacancy announcement for which applications are being accepted from individuals with non-competitive status;
(c) Meet the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) minimum qualification standards stated in the vacancy announcement for the position which you are applying; and
(d) Completed his/her most recent Corps service, which provided him/her with a total of 640 hours, inclusive of 120 hours on a PLC project as defined in 16 USC 1723(d), within the last two (2) years.
(2) Appointments must be effected within the two years requirement.
(3) The two year time-frame cannot be extended.
(4) Selectees will be subject to a probationary period.
(5) This authority may be used for General Schedule and Federal Wage System positions.
(6) Competitive service appointments may be made for temporary, term or permanent positions.

PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s) and grade point average or class ranking. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts.

PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.

GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.

FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education.



When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
Category Wildlife