|Salary Details||$5535-$6874 per month DOE|
|Required Experience||2 - 6 years|
The Backcountry Trails Camp Supervisor (BCTCS) is, above all else, a leader of young people (18-25), whose duties go far beyond the mere supervision of Corpsmembers. The BCTCS is responsible for the personal and professional development of each Corpsmember as they experience everything that comes with living and working with a diverse group of people in remote, isolated backcountry locations for six continuous months while performing rigorous work. The BCTCS must mentor, counsel, train, and direct Corpsmembers through an incredibly difficult work/wilderness/cohort experience while ensuring their physical, mental, emotional, and social wellbeing is looked after.
Under the direct supervision of the Backcountry Trails Program Manager with additional oversight from the Program Coordinator, the incumbent works independently performing a multitude of duties in the following areas:
- Managing, directing, and supervising a backcountry trail crew.
- Facilitating individual development of Corpsmembers and the development of a crew community.
- Training Corpsmembers in trail repair, maintenance, construction, wilderness living, wilderness navigation, spike camp set-up, and operations.
- Development and implementation of season-long curriculum plan.
- Managing trail projects and supervising a crew performing trail work.
- Performing a variety of administrative duties and functions as operational, departmental, program, and public land management agency needs dictate.
The BCTP is looking for experienced leaders who are passionate about corpsmember development and mentoring young adults, and love living and working in the outdoors, especially in backcountry, wilderness locations. We want candidates who are emotionally intelligent with strong social skills, excellent interpersonal communication, and who are adept at building strong relationships. They should be collaborative and a good team builder, and able to independently build a strong working crew. Desirable candidates should be strong critical thinkers, good problem solvers, possess good judgement, and be effective at resolving conflict. It is a must that candidates have integrity and are mentally and emotionally resilient to be able to handle extremely stressful situations. Lastly, we need candidates who are well versed in handling multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously. The Backcountry Trails Camp Supervisor position is one of the most unique, challenging, and rewarding leadership positions out there in the youth and conservation corps world.
In addition to the above mentioned qualities, we are seeking candidates who have experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Wilderness trail construction, repair, maintenance, and project planning
- Wilderness 1st Aid, Wilderness 1st Responder, or Wilderness EMT certification
- Swift Water Rescue or other water safety certifications
- Backcountry crew camp set up
- Minimal impact or Leave No Trace wilderness practices
- Backpacking and wilderness navigation (including cross-country hiking)
- Planning, implementing, and facilitating meetings, trainings, and educational classes
- Working with public land management agencies (e.g. USFS, NPS)
- Microsoft Office and other computer applications
We offer a competitive compensation package given the high level of responsibility. First year California state employees starting pay is $5,535/month with benefits.
Apply and read more about the job here: https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=397272
We HIGHLY recommend calling our Program Manager BEFORE applying, especially if you have limited experience with the California State application process: Chelsea Saeland, 707-601-5617, firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Call the Program Manager, Chelsea Saeland
2) Create an account with calcareers.ca.gov
3) Search for the job listing's Job Control Number 397272 or click this link: https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=397272
4) Fill out the State application. Please be concise and list all relevant experience. There are character limits.
5) Once your application has been approved by the CCC Sacramento HQ, complete a supplemental application sent out by our Program Manager.
Please contact Chelsea with any questions and for more information (contact info listed above)
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||General / Stewardship, Outdoor Recreation|
|Tags||Conservation Corps, Trail Maintenance|