Biological Field Technician - (1192)
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc.
Multiple Locations, Texas
|Salary Details||$15.00 – $20.00/ hour, DOE|
|Deadline||Aug 01, 2023|
|Required Experience||0 - 1 years|
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium-size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for a temporary, full-time, Biological Field Technician.
WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what we do, and what we believe in through our core values and key principles. Our work matters to our clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
Please click here to see what benefits WEST offers!
- Compensation: $15.00 – $20.00/ hour, DOE
- Housing: up to $600 monthly reimbursement for housing if relocation is required
- Start Date: August 1, 2023
- End Date: April 30, 2024
- Location: Waco, Waxahachie, Corsicana, Hillsboro, or Dallas, Texas
- Additional Details: WEST is looking for a Biological Field Technician to support ongoing avian surveys near Hillsboro and Corsicana, Texas. Waco, Waxahachie, Corsicana, Hillsboro, or Dallas, Texas are ideal locations to reside but are not limited (no more than 1-1.5 hour commute to project). WEST will provide a GPS unit, field vehicle, company credit card, and field equipment specific to the work. Field biologists must be equipped with professional-grade binoculars, suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots), and appropriate clothing.
Primary duties involve:
- Avian surveys for small and large birds, with a heavy emphasis on eagle species.
- Bat acoustic detector management.
- Conducting fieldwork in a remote location.
- Travel on county and primitive roads within and around the project area, field navigation, and observing and recording avian activity.
- Work schedule will likely include 8-10 hour days.
- Field conditions will include a range of extreme high and low temperatures, varying high wind speeds and uneven terrain. Candidates must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold).
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties, which may be associated with this position.
- Candidates must be capable of:
- identifying small and large birds, by sight and sound,
- identifying large birds, with an emphasis on bald and golden eagles,
- recording data efficiently, clearly and correctly,
- following study and safety protocols,
- maintaining an independent schedule, and,
- trouble-shooting problems while in the field.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys is required.
- Candidates should be able to interact positively and professionally with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other field biologists.
- Employees must be a self-starter, maintain focus for long periods, follow instructions from supervisors, maintain a positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Consistent and open communication with the team is imperative.
- Sound judgment is required when working in environmental conditions that include rain, wind, mud, extreme temperatures and wildlife.
- Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
- Proficient use of mapping software, compass, distance gauging techniques and equipment, and other field methods is required.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will require long periods of standing and be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can vary..
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Tags||Environmental Consulting, Ornithology|