Executive & Personal Assistant to the President
Dr. Biruté Mary Galdikas is a world-renowned primatologist, specializing in orangutan research and conservation. She has devoted more than 50 years to studying, protecting, and conserving wild orangutans and their tropical rainforest habitat. As President of Orangutan Foundation International (OFI), her busy schedule of speaking engagements, fundraising events, and international conferences, Dr. Galdikas divides her time between OFI’s facilities in Los Angeles, Vancouver, and Indonesia.
The Executive Assistant reports to the President of the organization and is based in Los Angeles, California. This is a full-time, salaried position.
The executive assistant will support Dr. Galdikas as she divides her time between OFI Stakeholders that are spread across various time zones and continents. The successful candidate can expect to work side-by-side with Dr. Galdikas on a daily basis, helping Dr. Galdikas complete tasks as directed. Tasks can vary widely from data entry to assisting on excursions to field sites where orangutan research and rehabilitation is taking place. In addition, the executive and personal assistant can also expect to interact with office staff, donors, OFI Board Members, and others, while managing multiple menial tasks.
Daily tasks are highly variable. The executive and personal assistant is expected to assist with most aspects of OFI’s General Operations, including the following:
- Keeping track of approaching deadlines
- Maintaining contact with staff, OFI Board Members, volunteers, and other partners and stakeholders.
- Handing of repetitive tasks as needed
The following represents a list of tasks that are expected to provide adequate support to Dr. Galdikas:
- The executive and personal assistant will track deadlines and alert Dr. Galdikas of pressing issues that would delay task completion.
- Schedule appointments and or events, notifying appropriate parties within OFI in the event there are schedule changes
- Travel with Dr. Galdikas and provide travel assistance as needed.
- Driving to and from appointments, meetings, and other public events
- Responsible for organizing physical documents
- Providing personal services (e.g., shopping for, retrieving orders, and making coffee)
- Provide clerical and technical assistance with the following programs/software:
- Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and Windows Operating System
- Complete general clerical tasks (data entry, document formatting & scanning)
- Assist with social media management (Dr. Galdikas Only)
- Written Communication Assistance
- Draft Written Materials, letters, reports, and scholarly articles
- Basic Photo Editing
- Meeting Minutes
- Slide Deck Presentations
Qualities for the successful candidate
- Will understand and appreciate Dr. Galdikas’ commitment to orangutans, wildlife conservation, and the work necessary to support the cause
- Be able to demonstrate to share a passion for orangutans or other great apes and tropical rainforest conservation
- Enjoy collaborating with others, is highly personable, friendly, and diplomatic
- Be able to adjust to irregular work hours, including but not limited to, off-business hours and spending time in the field with Dr. Galdikas
Interested candidates should send C.V. and cover letter to email@example.com
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.