|Salary Details||$17.50/hour plus PTO and Sick Leave|
|Required Experience||0 - 1 years|
The San Diego River Park Foundation was founded in 2001 to create a better future for the San Diego River and San Diego. Additional information about the organization is available at www.sandiegoriver.org. We are seeking an energetic, self-motivated, reliable individual to fill the position of Field Associate. This person will play a role in leading field surveys and volunteer clean-up events along the river. Ideal candidates will be interested in community organizing and engagement, environmental restoration, sustainability, and field work.
Responsibilities: The San Diego River Park Foundation believes that service is an excellent pathway to long-term stewardship and increased engagement with the San Diego River and its future. This person will play a role in coordinating and hosting events for the public, including river field surveys, cleanups, and potentially, other activities such as restoration projects.
Duties will include:
- Planning, coordinating and hosting volunteer events to support our Trash-Free River program, at least two field events per week (Friday surveys and Saturday clean-ups).
- Coordinating and supervising volunteers to do this work, with group sizes ranging from 2-20 regular, trained volunteers to larger groups of 75+ first-time volunteers
- Assist with contributing data to online data portal (www.immappler.com/sandiegorivertrash), and using portal to guide clean-ups
- Work with staff to sustain and grow volunteer engagement with the San Diego River Park Foundation through these events
- Train, mentor and supervise unpaid intern(s) to assist with volunteer events
- Cross-train with other Trash-Free River Program staff to serve as support for other events
- Participate in planning with team to advance Trash-Free River goals
- Other duties as assigned
Reporting: reports to the Program Manager, but will work as a member of a team
Hours: Part-time (20 hours/week)
Compensation: $17.50/hour, plus paid time off and sick leave
The ideal candidate will:
- Be committed to the environmental mission of organization
- Value working with members of the community
- Be able to (and be interested in) work outdoors and get dirty
- Have documented volunteer coordination, community outreach, and/or community organizing experience
- Be a self-starter interested in working independently
- Have strong navigational skills for orienting self and team in the riverbed
- Be able to work in a dynamic, small office and with student-interns as well as volunteers of all types
- Be comfortable with using smart phone/tablet technology to access data portal
- Have strong public speaking, communication skills, and commanding presence for volunteer events
- Be flexible, adaptable, and organized with strong multi-tasking and prioritization skills \ • Basic knowledge of Google Suite, Word and PowerPoint
- Competency with data analysis in Excel
- Must be able to lift 35+ pounds and walk up to 5 miles on uneven terrain
- Must have a current driver’s license and good driving record, and be able to drive a company vehicle (small truck)
- Have an associate or bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in relevant experience
- Familiarity with the San Diego River ecology and geography is a plus
Other Qualifications and Requirements:
- Event planning or experience serving as a volunteer leader preferred
- Past volunteer leadership training or experience supervising others is a plus
- Social media experience is a plus (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Hepatitis A vaccination will be required for this employee (can be completed after hire)
- First aid certification will be required for this employee (can be completed after hire) • This position may include weekend or evening work
- Have access to a personal computer and internet access while the organization continues to work from home (reimbursement for use is available)
This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities and is not inclusive of every duty the employee may be expected to perform. The San Diego River Park Foundation is an Equal Opportunity E
The San Diego River Park Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This is an at-will position.
Deadline: Open until filled.
Start Date: Immediately.
To apply: Send a resume and cover email to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Email questions are welcomed. Please include in your cover email (or separate letter) your interest in the position and working with the organization.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board.
|Category||Ecology, General / Stewardship|